Saturday, October 23, 2010

Educate yourself.



It's that time of year....midterms, essays, projects, critical analysis, what have you.
Do you see the Ethiopia theme? Yes, writing an essay on political repression in Ethiopia. It's actually a very interesting topic, ask me anything about Ethiopia involving politics, economy and social issues from 1974 to present and I'm pretty sure I'll know the answer.
Fun fact: Ethiopia and Liberia are the only two countries in Africa that were uncolonized.
Anyway I just thought for those of you non-students I'd share my pain and for those of you students we can bond together at how we dislike essays and midterm and etc.
Then again, at least I'm getting an education, right? At least I live in a country where my gender isn't a complete disability (I say complete because in some cases it is), at I have the means and money to educate myself.
I think all of us who say, ew another paper or gross I don't want to get to class we still understand it really is a priveledge to be able to go to school and have a higher education.
I have an Amnesty International poster in my room title: Getting an education shouldn't be this tough. The picture is a man getting beaten by three police officers as he tries to keep schools in his country open.
Caption says:

"Let's face it. We've all hoped for a natural disaster to close school on the day of the big exam. While you were glued to the weather channel, this protester tried to
keep schools in his country open - and got beaten by police.
Kinda makes you wonder, eh?
THINK. JOIN. ACT."

So though we may complain or procrastinate, we know how lucky we are.
And this is my cue to leave and continue writing my paper

No comments:

Post a Comment